Diverse Populations End of Life Needs Assessment
The ELDAC Diverse Populations End of Life Needs Assessment (the Assessment) is an organisational support tool that enables aged care providers to review, reflect, and improve on their capacity in supporting the specific end of life care needs of people from diverse backgrounds.
This resource is focused on quality improvement and designed to be implemented through a working group meeting that is led by a facilitator who is a senior staff member. The Assessment:
- provides information, guidance, and resources to support palliative care and advance care planning for people from diverse population groups;
- includes case studies for specific diverse groups and resources on providing care;
- supports aged care providers’ discussions about current systems and services in relation to the evidence domains of the Aged Care Quality Standards; and
- guides quality improvement activities, focusing on best practice and identifying what system changes are required to improve end of life care for people from diverse backgrounds.
Diverse Populations End of Life Needs Assessment Package
There is an Assessment Package for each of the specific diverse groups listed below that includes end of life care resources for that group. The Assessment also can be used to consider the end of life needs of people from other diverse population groups not listed.
- Care leavers
- People affected by forced adoption
- People who have experienced homelessness.
Each Assessment Package includes 3 PDF documents:
- Facilitator’s Guide, which is an overarching guide for all diverse population groups that explains how to conduct and implement the Assessment.
- Contains a blank Diverse Populations End of Life Needs Assessment, which includes prompts to document the review of current activities that support diversity, gaps identified, discussion, and findings.
- Workbook for staff participating in the Assessment exercise that is specific to the diversity group.
- The Workbook includes a summary about the specific diverse group and a blank Assessment with prompts.
- There is case study of a completed Assessment for the specific group to guide the assessment process.
- Set of facilitator presentation slides for the specific diverse group to assist in guiding the meeting.